Thursday, November 8, 2007

Still shining

The past few days have had us thanking our lucky stars for our beautiful girl's continued growth and good health.



We've been spending a lot of time doing Kangaroo care, where we get skin to skin contact. She has been spending a few hours zipped into mom or dad's shirt most visits this week.



Yesterday, they tried her off of her CPAP, with only little oxygen prongs in her nose. We got to see all of her beautiful face, and she was so alert and happy. She did really well breathing on her own, and we are hoping that she can stay off of the CPAP from now on. She's little, but really strong, and she keeps surprising everyone with her capabilities.



She has been consistently gaining 30 or so grams every 2 days or so. We were amazed last night to see her get on the scale and have 859gms come up! She gained 54 grams in the past 2 days. She keeps getting bigger and is looking more and more baby-like every day. Her weight gain has revealed big cheeks and a cute little pouty chin that we think looks like Kie's dad's.





After her time on the scale, I got to hold her in my arms. She tried on the little hat that her Grandma made, and she just looked so cute staring up at me. Her eyes are so big, and when she was all swaddled up she reminded me of the tiny, tiny baby with the big dark eyes who stared out at me before being rushed away when she was born. It's hard to believe that over a month has gone by since then. We are so grateful that this amazing person has chosen us to be her parents.



Holding her in my arms makes me want her home even more. I'm not sure when she will make the move to the hospital in St. Catharines. When we first met with the doctor, he told us 6 weeks...it has been 5. It seemed impossible then, but she seems to be meeting all of the milestones they set out for her. It seems like time has gone so fast even though sometimes it feels like forever. We can't imagine our lives without her. I can't wait to have her home and cuddle her whenever we want.

10 comments:

Arlene said...

Hi Lorraine and Kie,

I am so glad you took this video. It was great to look into her little face. She is a combination of both of you.

She is so cute and so is the little hat Carol made for her.

As soon as this cold is over I'll be back for a visit.

Love Mom
xxoo

Eileen Benmore said...

Hi Lorraine and Kie: I am so glad that you are sharing this wonder with everyone. Here on the west coast, we are just so pumped with every post you make. The video is amazing and I even share all of this with my co-workers! God bless to all of you. Special hugs to everyone. Say Hi to Arlene (my cousin). Love, EileenXOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorrraine and Kie - We are so amazed at our tiny new relative. She is so active and we just love seeing her and hearing about her progress. I share this also with anyone who is even slightly interested! Keep up the good work
Love, Eileen's sister and your cousin (2nd or something or other)
April

Anonymous said...

Sophie is an amazing little person. Thank you so much for sharing the video - she is a real mover and a shaker!! To see how active and alert she is one has to wonder if Sophie really is tiny, or if it's just that everything else around her is oversized!
You are in our hearts and on our minds - every post is waited for with great anticipation. Thank you.
Love and hugs from Sandra (another of your Mom's west coast cousins)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Sophie is such a cutie! I love the video! Wait until Jiji sees his little Sophie girl! Seeing her makes my day! I can hardly wait to see her again...love you all bunches!

Gramma Randell
xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Hello, I came across your blog while looking at another site. Our daughter is also a 24 weeker who is still in the hospital but getting bigger everyday. Your Sophie is very cute and amazing. It's so miraculous that someone so small can be so strong. Keep up the good work. Here's our daughter's blog if you want to check it out.

http://malayacalidonio.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Kie and Lorraine,

Sophie is truly amazing - I can't get over how much she is growing..give her my love and I hope to get up to see her again soon!

Lots of love to you all!
Auntie Big Lorraine

nicole said...

Jeez, you guys - could you please put a warning on posts that might make readers cry? That video is awesome - I can't believe how big she's getting! Sophie rules!!

Laurie-Anne said...

Emilie-Anne says:

I love you Sopie! I love you Lorraine! I love you Kie! Sophie is so cute! I like watching the video! She is so wigglie and strong! Keep on growing! I want to play with you one day! Now I want to watch the video again!

Love,
Emilie-Anne -- your bologna

Ditto from the rest of us at the Lamothe-Samaroo house!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine and Kie

That video is so cute.
Glad to see that things are progressing as they should be.

I look forward to reading your next post.

Take care

Love,
Kim