Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Grind

Hey everyone

We went up today to meet with Sophie's new doctor and to have a visit with our girl. We usually meet once a week or so with the doctor, nurses and social worker to get an update on Sophie's progress and to ask any questions or discuss any concerns we may have. It is really amazing to have all of these people in our corner, helping our girl to grow and supporting us through this process. Today's meeting went really well. We met Sophie's new doctor and he let us know that she is doing really well. They have done all the investigation possible to try to find out why she is having so many apneas (forgets to breathe) and bradycardias (where her heart rate goes below 100), but ultimately it's because she's little and it's what preemies do. I had hoped to hear she'd be home for Christmas, but the doctor said 7-10 weeks until she's ready for that. Basically, we are just waiting for her to grow.

We're so fortunate and grateful that her stay in the NICU has been pretty uneventful. Her journey could have been a lot scarier and had more challenges than what she has experienced. I think, though, that this point in the experience presents a different set of challenges for everyone. We have to wait and be patient for her to grow. I have never been very good at either waiting or being patient. I always pop the toaster before it does it on its own....

Kie and I have been trying to balance our "normal" life with the NICU experience, and it wears slowly on our souls. We ache for our little girl. We want her home with us and we want to experience what it's like to be parents without nurses and doctors and machines. We want to hold her without a time limit. We want to change her diapers and bathe her ourselves. We just really feel ready to have our girl home with us and to start our new lives as parents. We just have to wait until she's ready for that, too.

The past month has been so difficult, and I keep trying to find reasons or lessons in what's going on. With Gord's leukemia and Sophie's early entry into the world, it's been made crystal clear that we have to make every moment count. I guess all of this time spent waiting and watching her grow just makes us more aware of how every single moment of our time with her is magical. I just want to write it down so we remember this when she's screaming in the grocery store, or when she has a keg party in our house when we're away on vacation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine and Kie and little baby Sophie!!!
Your mom gave me your blog address. I've read through the entire blog. You three are truly amazing!!! We'll all be cheering for you and watching your progress. Keep growing precious little Sophie.

All our love, Bobby, Justine, Dustin, Scott and Bucky

Chris said...

Well Lorraine, I have always been a firm believer in "you are never given more then you can handle" Obviously you and Kie have been given quite the handful, and you are able to handle it with such grace. Your blog shows what a truly amazing person you are. Thank you so much for the updates. See you soon.

Love Chris

Anonymous said...

Lorr/Kie, I share that feeling of hurry up and wait for sure!

As I look at all my treatment schedules and realize that the last day of chemo ain't gonna be the last day of being in the hospital, I need a bit of that patience, too.

We've had some long-haul health stuff over the years and it's all gone well, but it's taken time and more time. But the results stick. Look at how great Dad feels after all these years.

This will all be a blip in your mind when you dropping teen Sophie off at driver's ed in October of 2023.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rip a bag of chips open with my teeth!

Hang in there!

gord
xo

nicole said...

Gord, I'm reading these comments & I can deal with you being in the hospital for a month, and I can deal with you going through chemo - but please, PLEASE stop opening packaging with your teeth.

Lorraine & Kie & sophie - gogogo! You guys are a trio of awesomeness!

Anonymous said...

Lorraine, Kie & Beautiful Sophie,

Hi there - I'm Nicole's sister! Our mom gave me the address of your blog and now I'm crying at work over how amazing your baby girl is. What an inspiration all 3 of you are.

Stay strong and know that there are many people sending you good wishes.

Melanie Hunt