Monday, November 19, 2007

The Kilo Club


We were ecstatic to be there tonight for Sophie's official weigh-in and entry into the "Kilo Club"....she has finally made it over 1000 grams! (Imperialites - that's 2.2 pounds). As you can see, she weighed in at 1029 grams, which means she has almost gained a pound since she was born.

After her weight and bath, Sophie spent some time with her Daddy. My instincts made me want to scoop her up and steal her away, but I know that Kie needs her just as much as I do. He hasn't held her for quite a while, and he really needed to feel her in his arms.



Sophie has spent a lot of time in our arms, but her first cuddle from a grandparent came from Grandma, who really needed it. Grandma said it was just like medicine.



Times have been pretty rough for her lately, and some special Sophie time was just what she needed. She said,
"We can’t wait to get her home and hug her. I think it will be 8 more weeks and we will save up the cuddles. We love you Sophie! Thanks for your courage and strength and helping us all to get through these difficult times. Uncle Gord is rooting for you."


Sophie's doctor said that she probably will be staying in Hamilton for some time, which is a mixed blessing. We are so confident leaving her at McMaster. The care is amazing and everyone there is really professional and so kind. We just want to pick up the building and drop it a little closer to home. I worry a little about driving in the winter, and I really wish sometimes I could just drop everything and go for a quick cuddle.

Sometimes I feel like my baby is still in utero.....just not mine. It's weird to hear the nurses talk about her as her gestational age (she's 34 weeks now)...it's like she isn't real yet...like she's not "done". Kie's mom and dad talk about how amazing it is to be able to watch this process - to see a baby grow. We really are lucky to know Sophie and see her grow as she should have inside of me.

I have to admit that I had been feeling really guilty that I wasn't able to keep her growing in my body. I thought that the way this happened wasn't right, and that I had put Sophie at a disadvantage by not being able to continue the pregnancy. With all of the amazing comments, thoughts, gifts, and prayers we have received on her behalf, I feel like this is really how it was meant to be. Sophie's experience is touching so many people in so many different ways. She is not yet supposed to be born, and has already taught us so much. I am so proud to be her mom and I feel so honoured to have been chosen to be her parent.

Thank you all for your amazing response to our beautiful girl.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah Sophie!!!! growing growing:) ....as much as it sooo sucks to be so far away, keeping updated this way helps us to feel close. just wanna let you guys know that we're (jamie and i) rooting for you. and i have been chanting everyday. (i'm still learning but i try). you guys have been blessed with a beautiful, strong being who will only bring you closer together. my thoughts are with all 3 of you. i love you guys and i miss you very much. take care and keep in touch. xoxox love,
jenni

nicole said...

Sophie's picture hangs on the wall in front of Gord's bed & sometimes when there's not much to say I just sit & stare at it. You're right, about how she was meant to be in our lives as early as she is. I can't believe this tiny little girl, who doesn't really know much of the world outside of her NICU is such an amazing & important well of strength & courage for us all, especially Gord. Thanks for making her you guys!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad sophie is getting stronger and cuter too. One day I would like to see her. Everyone says she's so cute and i printed out "baby in a bucket". I love to see her grow stronger every time a new message is posted. Good luck for the future. xoxoxxo Madeline