Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bumpy Road Ahead

So here we are in week 32 of the next pregnancy. Quite honestly, I'm amazed that I've gotten so far without too many problems. At the 27 week 3 day mark, I exhaled -- but we've hit some rough road.

I've been diagnosed with pre-eclampsia, again, though this time it seems to be holding off. My blood pressure is well contained with medication, and I haven't had any other side effects. The big concern this time is that the baby doesn't seem to be growing as much as she should. I've been going in to McMaster for ultrasounds to check umbilical blood flow and non-stress tests (where they monitor baby's heartrate) twice a week for a while now. They are waiting until next Tuesday to measure the baby again to let us know if she's still not growing, and then a decision will be made about how to progress. In the meantime, I'm supposed to be doing kick counts every few hours to ensure that the baby is OK and still moving around. I have been seriously hyper vigilant and find myself pretty much constantly checking. I feel like they've handed me a glass egg on an uneven spoon to hold in my mouth....terrified that I'll drop it, or miss something, or that things will go pear shaped while I'm not paying attention.

Kie has been amazing, and has taken on all of the responsibilities of the house and Sophie's care so that I can be on bedrest. I wouldn't have gotten this far without him.

So we wait, again, to see what's going to happen. And our hopes for a birth where the baby gets to stay with us in room and we all leave the hospital together are dashed, but we know that whatever happens we've driven this road before....and we got through it. It's just not the path we wanted to take again.

No comments: